Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pumpkin Granola

By Jessica



And the pumpkin saga continues....I really cant get enough of this gorgeous gourd. I have an insane craving for a pumpkin cheesecake but I am not even going to fool myself on the health benefits of that. Maybe for Thanksgiving. I have been bad lately about timing my food which wasn't a problem till I made granola for the first time. I didn't realize that it would get hard after it cools off so I slightly overdid it. The recipe called for pumpkin seeds which were a bit like chewing on wood to me. Not ideal. They may help against prostate cancer and osteoporosis though.
In its family tree the pumpkin has the highest amount of vitamin A which is packed with anti-oxidants.This will definitely give you a good morning start.


Pumpkin Granola
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (you may used canned if you wish)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Dash of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds(optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Stir in the brown sugar and maple syrup until smooth. Add the oats, dried cranberries, raisins, almonds, and pumpkin seeds if using. stir until granola is evenly coated.
Spread out evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes and stir the granola around. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container. Granola will crisp up once it has cooled down.


Courtesy The Pastry Affair



2 comments:

  1. Pumpkin Granola! That is something I have never tried. There must be a lot of pumpkins available in the USA at the moment as everyone seems to be cooking them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes there area lot of pumpkins! But you can use canned pumpkin as well for some recipes, which most people probably do here.

    ReplyDelete